2014 NFL ON CBS Regular Season Ratings Highlights
Sunday Afternoon & Thanksgiving Day Games
- Last year’s NFL ON CBS regular-season games averaged a household rating/share of 11.0/23, third-highest average rating for NFL ON CBS regular-season games since the NFL returned to CBS in 1998.
- Last year’s NFL ON CBS regular-season averaged 18.7 million viewers, tied with 2013 as the second-highest viewer average for CBS since the 1998 season and second-highest for the AFC television package in 27 year (as far back as CBS records go, 1987).
- CBS had three of Top 4 Highest-Rated NFL telecasts of the 2014 regular-season: No. 1 - New England @ Green Bay game (17.6/32; 11/30/14); No. 3 - Denver @ New England (16.8/29; 11/02/14) and No. 4 - Seattle @ Denver (15.8/30; 9/21/14).
- THE NFL ON CBS had three of Top 5 Most- Watched NFL telecasts of the 2014 regular-season: No. 2 - New England @ Green Bay game (30.9 million, 11/30/14); No. 4 - Chicago @ Detroit on Thanksgiving (29.4 million, 11/27) and No. 5 - Denver @ New England (29.1 million, 11/2/14)
- CBS’s 4:25pm National Games averaged a HH rating of 14.4 in 2014 and tied with 2011 as the second highest average rating for the National Game window since the NFL returned to CBS in 1998 .
o Last year’s CBS National game window had a +14% advantage over the NFL primetime broadcast package on NBC (14.4 vs. 12.6).
- Last year marked the 14th consecutive season (since 2001) that the CBS National game on Sunday afternoon has out-rated the NFL primetime broadcast package.
THE NFL TODAY
Regular Season (Sunday + Thanksgiving)
- For the 17 weeks of the 2014 regular-season, all telecasts of THE NFL TODAY averaged a HH rating/share of 2.5/7, +4% vs. 2013 (2.4/6).
- THE NFL TODAY averaged 3.8 million viewers for 17 weeks of the 2014 regular-season, +6% vs. 3.6 million in 2013. Last year’s 3.8 million viewers tied with 2011 and 2010 as the second best viewer average for THE NFL TODAY in the regular-season since 1998.
Thursday Night Football
- The seven Thursday night games on CBS and NFL Network in Week 2 through Week 8 of the 2014 season averaged a HH rating/share of 10.3/18 and 16.7 million viewers.
- NFL coverage on CBS and the NFL Network dominated Thursday night in primetime (8:00-11:00 PM) on the seven nights of games on both networks. (CBS+NFLN prime average includes pre-game programming 8:00-8:26 PM).
- The CBS + NFL Network HH rating (9.8), was +78% higher than ABC (5.5), +227% higher than NBC (3.0) and +277% higher than FOX (2.6).
- The CBS + NFL Network audience (15.8 million viewers), was +95% higher than ABC (8.1 million), +251% higher than NBC (4.5 million), +285% higher than FOX (4.1 million).
- During the five weeks the 2014 Thursday games competed against first run primetime programming at the start to the 2014-15 television season (9/22-10/23/14), the games were overall the No. 3 primetime program in households and viewers. (Based on Live +Same Day ratings – does not include DVR playback after initial day shows aired).